Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lesson Learned...AGAIN!!

Do you wonder if you'll ever learn? What I mean is, does it seem you need to be taught the same lesson over and over again? I do. Case in point...

My husband started his own business a little over a year ago. We knew it was a crazy time economically to do this. We knew we were taking a big chance - him quitting his great paying, full benefits, stable job - crazy right? But we felt it was the right move for him. We had faith that the Lord was directing our actions.

Things started off great! His business started off booming! We were so excited! His business is still booming. He has employees who get their paychecks without any problem. He is able to pay all of the business expenses with no problem. But here is the catch, not much money has found its way into our family bank account as of yet. He absolutely cannot work any harder than he already is; there just aren't enough hours in the day. So what is the problem? We keep the commandments. We pay our tithing. We are not frivolous people. But our savings is gone. Our debt has increased. Our hopes are dwindling.

Maybe this is too personal to share in this forum. But I watch the news and  I have a feeling we are not the only ones in this situation right now.  A couple of weeks ago, I felt the Savior remind me of a story that has kept me going ever since...

It was a  rough Sunday as our debts and financial situation seemed to weigh heavily on our hearts. My husband was particularly down. I tend to be more optimistic than he is and this day was no exception. But even I was feeling the burdens this day. During Sacrament meeting, I looked over at my husband. His head was in his hands and most people probably thought he was asleep. I knew better.

When we returned home from church that day, I asked him what he had been feeling during the meeting. He said he just kept thinking of this story of our Savior:

 Mark 4

36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
 37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
 38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
 39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, aPeace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great bcalm.
 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so afearful? how is it that ye have no bfaith?

My husband said he completely understood the words of the disciples during the midst of that storm and he knows why they awoke Jesus...they were very afraid and thought they would die.  He felt the same feelings about our financial situation and felt himself say in his heart, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?"

I think we have all had this feeling at least once in our lives, maybe more. We shouldn't be too hard on the Apostles, they were human as are we.
It was interesting that just a couple of days earlier, I had learned a great lesson from this story which I was then able to share with my husband. 

It had occurred to me that Jesus was able to sleep during that treacherous storm because He knew they would all be okay - the storm was not going to destroy them. So, He was able to allow Himself to take a much needed rest. It sounds so simple and maybe I'm wrong, but maybe He didn't see the need to stop the storm because He knew it didn't need to be stopped and if it did, He was there to protect them. He had faith in what He would be able to do if necessary. 

The Apostles, on the other hand, did not have this same perspective. All they could see was what was happening to them in that very moment and they did not have an understanding of Who exactly was on board that ship and the power He had to protect them. They did not understand that if the storm was really going to cause them to "perish", Jesus would not have allowed Himself to sleep, but would have stopped the storm immediately.

Before they had all entered the ship that day, Jesus had preformed miracle after miracle healing the sick and raising the dead. He had shown His amazing power for all to see and who had been there with Him for every miracle? His Apostles. They had witnessed it all. So when Jesus said, "Why is it ye are so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith?" maybe He was saying, "You saw what I am able to do. I can do the same for you. You will be okay. I will take care of you. Trust me."

So, back to my financial situation (or any situation in which you may feel that you are going to "drown")  When my husband and I set sail on this "Self-Employed" ship, we felt that the Savior was on board with us. We have felt it all along. For some reason, a huge storm has developed all around us. The wind is fierce and the waves are frightening. But, we must have faith in the God of miracles who is on board with us.We must trust His judgment and never give up. I think the Creator of the universe is someone we can trust.

We have a house full of food because of the counsel to have a year's supply of food. We have a home to live in. We have clothes to wear. We have a car that is paid for. We have a cupboard full of games which can supply free entertainment.  My children have fun toys and books to keep them occupied. At this point, our basic bills are still able to be paid. The list could go on and on. We have sooooo much!!

Hmmmm....maybe the storm isn't as life-threatening as we had thought.

Besides, hasn't the Lord performed miracles in my life before? Yes. Oh me of little faith. It is all about His timing and His plan. He knows what we do not know and He sees what we do not see.

Haven't I learned this before? Uh, yeah, like a gazillion times!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...