Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Voice Above All Others

We live in a world of many voices. Voices that sometimes whisper, sometimes scream, but almost always say things such as, "You are too much of that!" "You are not enough of this!" "You don't have that?" "You really should get rid of this!" "How dare you think that!" "How dare you not understand!" "You don't deserve this!" "You deserve all the bad that has happened to you."

You get the picture. You are experiencing this in your own life. Yet, there is a voice that can rise above all others like a lighthouse, like a beacon of hope, leading us to a much better place. Our Savior's voice can be heard, "Come follow me." It is a voice of peace. A voice of forgiveness. A voice of hope. A voice of change. A voice of freedom. A voice of love.

Spiritual survival requires that we learn to decipher His voice above all others. His voice is a communication that happens spirit to spirit, heart to heart. The ability to hear His voice takes practice - a lifetime of practice. I can think of no better way to become more in tune to His voice than to read the Holy Scriptures.

"For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
"Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words." (Doctrine and Covenants 18:35-36)

Incidentally, I think the voices aimed at our children may be louder and more aggressive than we know. They need to learn to love and value the power of the scriptures. How do they learn this? Through the examples of the ones who love them most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...