Sunday, June 12, 2011

More Pieces to the Puzzle

 I just read another wonderful talk on the topic of the Second Coming. The talk is by President Gordon B. Hinckley. He speaks very clearly about some events leading to the Savior's return and he is clear that if we are not prepared spiritually, that day will not be a happy one for us. (if that scares you, that doesn't mean you shouldn't read his talk. In actuality, that fear means you should read his talk so you can do what it takes to be ready and not be afraid.) He also explains how, for the righteous, the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will be wonderful.

Click here to read his talk:
We Need Not Fear His Coming

I wish we could all read the talk together because I would love to discuss the two ways he mentions that will help us to prepare ourselves for that great day. They were not what I expected. I guess I figured he would say something about reading scriptures, prayer, keeping the commandments but he mentioned two less talked about ways we can be ready - at least they are less talked about when it comes to the topic of the Second Coming.

Here are some of his words:

"We need not fear the day of his coming; the very purpose of the Church is to provide the incentive and the opportunity for us to conduct our lives in such a way that those who are members of the kingdom of God will become members of the kingdom of heaven when he establishes that kingdom on the earth. Very quickly, by way of conclusion, may I suggest just two or three things, which if observed, will assist. 

"The prophet Micah declared: 'He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?' (Micah 6:8). There is enough for a long sermon in that one injunction. Let me touch on one point only: 'To love mercy.'"

"To love mercy."  Wowsers, one more piece to the puzzle I hadn't seen before. What I mean is exactly what I wrote above, when we cover preparation topics, that doesn't usually seem to come up. But, honestly, it makes so much sense. How can we be prepared to meet Jesus Christ, if we are not like Him? How can we be like Him, if we do not know how to extend mercy to our brothers and sisters? I'm not talking about baking cookies for someone (although that is a nice gesture). I'm talking about serious serving, loving, forgiving, offering the shirt off our back, non-judging, going out of our way, doing what needs to be done, giving others the benefit of the doubt, rolling up our shirt sleeves and getting busy, peaceful, kind, gentle, Christlike mercy.

Well, one more topic to add to my pondering list.

As I've mentioned before, I love the music of Kenneth Cope. There is a phrase in his song entitled "His Name Is Love" that often runs through my mind. It goes like this:

"He's writing His name on my heart.
Making the change from the inside.
Pouring our grace from the start.
With Nothing but love."

"He's writing His name on my heart." Oh how I love the sound of that. We write our name on something when it belongs to us. I want my heart to belong to Jesus Christ so when He comes again, He will know me and I will know Him because we've already become acquainted, we've already become friends, I've already turned my life over to Him, and He has already written His name on my heart.

And, and, oh, I have another thought about this...when we offer mercy toward others, it helps them turn to Jesus Christ as well! We extend mercy, we get mercy.That's what it is all about! Helping each other be ready and make it home. That is what our Savior did with His very life. We should do the same...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...