Sunday, November 14, 2010

Away In A Manger

I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas. I know that sounds weird coming from someone who is willing to dedicate a whole blog to writing about Jesus Christ but it is because it is sooooo easy to completely forget why we celebrate Christmas that makes Christmas a frustrating holiday for me. So many people in the whole world now, not just those who call themselves Christians, celebrate Santa Clause and decorated trees and snowmen and presents and presents and presents, yet they do not celebrate Jesus Christ whatsoever. I also feel so disappointed (in myself mostly) that the desire to love each other and help each other and live a Christlike life can be felt at Christmas time more than any other time of the year but it is almost as if when the clock strikes midnight and December 25th is over, the feeling is gone. I want it to stay! I want it to stay! I want to live in a world that feels the true Christmas Spirit - the love of Jesus Christ - ALL YEAR LONG. I want to feel it in my own heart ALL YEAR LONG!

That said, I still love Christmas and I have been listening to Christmas music for at least a couple of months now. The other night my 5-year-old daughter asked me to sing a song to her before she fell asleep. I decided to sing "Away In A Manger" to her. The words touched my heart as I thought of how she, a little girl who can be very afraid of the dark, might hear the words. 



Away in a manger, no crib for his bed
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head
The stars in the bright sky looked down where he lay
The little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh. 


Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us to heaven, to live with Thee there.

There are many experiences in our lives that may metaphorically make us afraid of the "dark". There may be the darkness of sin or sorrow or of unknown future outcomes. I believe that in those times we can call on our Savior and He will look down from the sky and stay by us until morning or the "light" comes back into our lives.

I believe that He IS close by us forever and He DOES love us, we ARE in His tender care and if we turn our lives over to Him, He will fit us for Heaven to live with Him there. 

Why is this just a Christmas song?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...