Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What Is Love?

My 5-year-old daughter loves to chat with me at night before she falls asleep. I have given up trying to make her fall asleep alone in her room because I've realized what a valuable time we have together and I know it won't last forever. Sometimes I tell her made up stories or sing her songs. Sometimes we talk about the day or our plans for the next day. Sometimes I ask her deep philosophical questions just to see what she'll say.

This was our conversation last night...

Me: "What is love?"

Her: "What?"

Me: "What do you think love is about?"

Her: "Love is about Jesus and that I know He loves me and I know He will come again."

This isn't the first time she has said things like this to me, in fact it happens quite regularly but it still amazes me. I was hoping she would say something like, "Love is you mommy". But then there I go again with the ME thing.

Love is all about the Savior. He is the reason love is even a feeling worth feeling. Without His incredible sacrifice, this life would be the end and so nothing would matter. Family relationships would not last past this life and so love would be actually a painful feeling because it wouldn't be able to last.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Amazing, it is because of His intense LOVE for each of us that He made it possible for us to LOVE for eternity. The greatest gift!

Hmmmm....warning....a slight change in thought directions...

So then why do we hold back our love from so many people? He gave His life for each of us, not just some of us. Not just the pretty ones or the ones with great visual talents. ALL of us. ALL of us deserve to be loved. I need to pray for more all encompassing love for others. I need to pray that I'll be able to love those around me the way He loves them and see them the way He sees them. He is Love and if I want to follow Him, I must be love as well. (it occurs to me that means loving myself too)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...