Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Eternal Significance of Today

If you follow the events of the last week of our Savior's life upon this earth, you will know that on this day, Thursday, this happened...
and then this happened...
 and then this happened.
Because  that happened,
this can happen...

forgiveness and understanding,

compassion and love.

"And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." St. Luke 22:44

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people." Alma 7:11

Today marks the beginning of the three most significant days in the history of the world. Sadly, the world will not stop to commemorate or even remember this.
Will we?

He suffered alone so that we won't have to.

One question to ask ourselves today is, "Why did He do what He did?"

He gave us the answer:

"For behold, I, God have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;
"but if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
"Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit - and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink - 
"Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.
"Wherefore, I command you again to repent..."
Doctrine and Covenants 19:16-20

The more I get to know the Savior, the more I don't hear Him say, "Wherefore, I command you again to repent..." in a dictator, pointing finger type voice. I hear Him pleading with love for us. He knows what we do not know and sees what we do not see and so He knows that if we will just follow His rules, we will be okay now and in the eternities and nothing would make Him happier. That is why He says,
"If ye love me keep my commandments." John 14:5

For today, think of those moments in the Garden of Gethsemane when He thought of you.

Remember...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...