Monday, August 6, 2012

How I met Jonah in the belly of a whale

I haven't written anything on this blog for a while. It is kinda hard to write when one finds oneself in the belly of a whale.

Let me explain...

I know the name of this blog is "Much More Him" but for this post it will be much more me. Hang tight, I'll get it back to the Savior.

This whole blog thing is quite intimidating for me. The inspiration to begin this blog was unmistakable. I hesitated and the Holy Ghost had to work on me a bit but I took the plunge two years ago and started broadcasting my testimony for all the world to read.

It didn't take long for satan to set in with his lies...

"How presumptuous of you to think that you have any authority to do anything like this."
"Do you really think anyone wants to read the rants of a stay-at-home mom?"
"You know how imperfect you are Lisa. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you still have so much to improve on in your own life?"
"Look at all of the other blogs written by other Mormon mothers. Compared to all they offer, your blog is so insignificant."
"People don't read even half of what you write. Just stop!"

Seriously. he won't leave me alone. I know I've written this before but he just doesn't stop.

Maybe that all makes me sound crazy but I'm just trying to be honest.

In the first part of this year life became super busy with children, family, church responsibilities and stuff. I didn't have time to sit down and write anything of significance. But then when I was finally able to take the time, nothing came. Nothing. I just stared at the blinking cursor while those lies circulated through my head again and again.



So, I stopped. Thinking that it didn't really matter if I wrote on this blog or not. No one cares anyway, right?

That's when it happened.
I was swallowed by a whale and found myself face to face with Jonah.



Jonah - blue
Me - red

Well, well. You must have been running from the Lord too.

What?! I would never run from the Lord!

Yeah, that's what I used to say too. Until He gave me a responsibility I didn't want and then I thought I could just hide. But as you can see, the Lord found me and sent me here. 

Ohhhhh. But.....I'm not a prophet like you and I wasn't commanded to go preach repentance to a dangerous people. Why in the world would the Lord send me here with you?

Have you read your Bible dictionary lately? Under the definition of "Prophet" what does the very last sentence say?

Um, let me check...Oh, well, it says, "In a general sense a prophet is anyone who has a testimony of Jesus Christ by the Holy Ghost."

So do you?

Do I what?

Have a testimony of Jesus Christ by the Holy Ghost?

(Tears start welling up in my eyes) Yes. 

Well then, prophetess Lisa (with a little p) why are you here? What has the Lord asked you to do that you are running from?

It's just a blog. I have this blog where I write my testimony about Jesus Christ and how He has helped me and continues to help me and how He is the reason earth life is even worth it and how we can love more like Him and serve Him and how He heals us. But it's nothing. Really. I want it to just be simple with no distractions from the outside world but then I think that makes it seem very unimportant and that others won't want to read it. It really is just this tiny thing that doesn't make that big of a difference in the world.

Was this an assignment from the Lord?

Well, it's not a church calling if that is what you are asking?

That's not what I'm asking. Was this an assignment from the Lord?

Actually, yes. I felt very inspired and compelled to start this blog and I have felt His assistance in what I have written.

Can I be honest with you?

Yes.

What's the big deal? The Lord tells you to do something, you do it. Who cares if anyone else cares. He does. I guess that is why I'm here in this whale with you. We could trade if you like?

You mean, I could go to Ninevah and tell them they are wicked and you could write the blog? Uhhhh...I don't think so. I'll write the blog. Besides, it really is me who is gaining the most from what I write. Every time I press the publish button my testimony grows a bit stronger and my courage increases.

Well then prophetess Lisa, may God be with you until we meet again. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Thanks. And by the way, Prophet Jonah, I think those people in Ninevah are actually going to listen to you. 

I hope so.

Just a heads up, when the Lord forgives them, don't be angry with Him. He loves them just like He loves you. We all deserve a second chance.

What? I can't hear you, the whale's stomach seems to be rumbling.

(Me yelling over the noise) Good luck!! Until we meet again!!


And that is how I came to be in the belly of a whale and learned from a Prophet of God that you can't hide from God and you can't run from your responsibilities. Jonah gets a bad wrap. But I think we all run from the Lord sometimes when He asks us to step outside of our comfort zones and grow! Jonah did learn his lesson in that whale and he did go to Ninevah. The people did believe him and they changed their ways and the Lord forgave them. And then Jonah was angry and didn't understand how easily the Lord could forgive these people. (The Book of Jonah)

I guess none of us are perfect huh? We all still have so much to learn and we can learn so much from each other. My strengths help the weaknesses of others and the strengths of others help my weaknesses.  We really are all in this together! :)

So if anyone out there is reading, I want you to know that I have a testimony of the divinity of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know He lives and loves and forgives and heals. I know He will return to the earth someday. I do not know if I will be living on the earth at that time or not. What I do know is that I want to assist Him in preparing the world for His second coming. I believe that He wants as many of us as possible to have turned our hearts to Him before He comes and so if this simple little blog will help Him then I give it to Him. Let the miracles begin!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...