Saturday, August 25, 2012

Thank You Greg Olsen

Greg Olsen, you are my hero. I hope you read this...

When I was a little girl, my mom and I used to lie out in the cool grass on summer nights and look at the stars. She would point out different constellations and planets and tell me about the Andromeda Galaxy and other wonders in space. It was my favorite summer pastime.

I have heard others say that when they look up into the night sky they feel small and insignificant. I most certainly can see where that feeling would come from. But I have to admit that I have never felt that feeling while gazing into the heavens. Ever since those early summer nights, whenever I look up at the stars, I just feel loved. 

My growing up years were hard - as was the experience of so many of us. Sad things happened in my home. Things that didn't have to happen had commandments been kept. I had to dig deep to find my own testimony at an early age. From the time I was 13, I was attending church without a parent. I often felt very alone in so many ways, but mostly spiritually. 

But when I would gaze up into the stars, I had a great sense that the same God who had created the galaxies, had created me as well. I could almost feel Him reaching down and wrapping me in a soft, warm quilt made from the universe. Even now, when I look into the heavens, I feel so close to our Father in Heaven. It is as if I can hear Him say, "I know who you are Lisa. I miss you. I want you to come Home." and my heart cries out, "I miss you too Father. Help me make it Home." "I am" He lovingly replies.

This new painting by Greg Olsen brings all of that back to my memory. The moment I saw this breathtaking picture I had an overwhelming desire to sit there with the Creator of the Universe. Tears came to my eyes as I imagined our conversation. He would show me wonders I didn't even know were there. In fact he would be able to point out every single creation and tell me little details about each one - how He created them, what He loves most about them, how that creation thinks and feels and understands. Because I believe Him when He says...

(This would be a wonderful Christmas present honey. Hint hint)

 "...all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them" Moses 1:39

That means Saturn and Venus. That means whales and ladybugs. That means the Grand Tetons and forget-me-not flowers. That means the children who live down the street. That means me.
That means you.

We are eternal beings, you and I. 
There is eternity within each of us. 
There is divinity within each of us.

Next time you have an opportunity to gaze up at the stars, resist the insignificant feeling. Allow yourself to feel eternal. Allow yourself to feel close to our Father. Allow Him to wrap you in a soft, warm quilt made out of the universe. 
You may never be the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...