Sunday, October 16, 2011

Just In Case Anyone Was Wondering

It is no secret that the media and others have been questioning the fact that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are Christians. Truly this hurts to the core. I have prayed and pondered about what I could or should say about this on this blog. After all, I am a Mormon and I have a blog dedicated to proclaiming my belief in and love for Jesus Christ.

A couple of things keep coming to my mind. Here is one of them...

The last time Mitt Romney was running for election was around the same time that President Henry B. Eyring was called to be part of the First Presidency of the Church. I will always remember his answer to a question asked him during a press conference announcing his calling...



There is no worry there. There is no fear or anger. There is no sense that he feels a need to contend with those who are questioning our beliefs. I sense peace. I love how he points out that the attention, good or bad, gives us an opportunity to talk to others. I think that is because President Eyring knows something that each one of us can know deep, deep into our souls...

"Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh..." (Doctrine and Covenants 1:12)
"The works, and the designs, and the purposes of God cannot be frustrated, neither can they come to naught.
"Remember, remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men" (Doctrine and Covenants 3:1&3)
"...for I will show unto the children of men that I am able to do mine own work." (2 Nephi 27:21)
"For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith." (2 Nephi 27:25)

I could go on but I think the point has been made.

Our Eternal Father is in charge with our Savior Jesus Christ by His side. 
When we look at the current situation in the light of an eternal perspective, there is no need to fear or be shaken.

Maybe we can look at it as a wake up call to take a look at our lives and ask ourselves,

"Is the way I'm living right now the way a disciple of Jesus Christ would live? Do others know, without a doubt, that I am a Christian?"

and then we can pray for the courage to make the necessary changes. The beautiful thing about the Savior is that He will help us make those changes. He is just that wonderful.

So, in case anyone is wondering...

I have many titles - mother, wife, daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, aunt, cousin, friend, teacher, neighbor - but the title that is an anchor to my soul is this...

Christian

I believe in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...